Special Collections Department
403 Parks Library
Iowa State University
Ames, IA 50011-2140

RS 7/4/3
Iowa State University.

Vice President for Student Affairs.

Department of Residence.
Residence Buildings' Records, 1915-[ongoing]


Descriptive summary

creator:

Iowa State University. Vice President for Student Affairs. Department of Residence.

title:

Residence Buildings' Records

dates:

1915-[ongoing]

extent:

1.26 linear feet (3 document boxes)

collection number:

RS 7/4/3

repository:

University Archives, Special Collections Department, Iowa State University.

 

Administrative information

access:

Open for research

publication rights:

Consult Head, Special Collections Department

preferred citation:

Iowa State University. Department of Residence, Residence Buildings' Records, RS 7/4/3, Special Collections Department, Iowa State University Library.

 

Historical note

The Department of Housing was established in 1930. The name was changed to the Department of Residence in 1937. The Department of Residence is responsible for the administration, financing, and development of all university student housing facilities.

The first academic building on campus, Old Main, housed 77 men and 16 women in 1869. The President soon recognized a problem in the co-ed housing situation and appointed Mary Lovelace as Preceptress to look after the women students. A room bureau for the men was handled by the YMCA and supervised by the Committee on Student Accommodations. In 1925, the State Board of Education was authorized to borrow money for the construction of housing facilities with the University pledging the net income from the entire housing system toward repayment indebtedness incurred for additions to any part of it.

After World War II, a great influx of students, specifically male students, severely strained the entire residence hall system. To help manage the large number of students, each floor of the men's dormitories was organized into houses with a head resident in 1949. The head residents comprised the Men's Residence Association, which helped organize and promote activities for the men's residence hall members. It was not until 1965 that a similar system of houses and head residents was instituted in the women's dormitories.

In 1969 many of the residence halls became co-educational. The halls that had been traditionally men's dorms were now organized under the Union Drive Association (UDA) and the halls that were traditionally women's dorms were now called the Richardson Court Association (RCA). The Inter-Residence Hall Association (IRHA) was organized in 1982 to provide services and support for all the students living in the residence hall system.

 

Collection description

The collection (1915-[ongoing]) contains information regarding the residence halls and university apartments. The records include news clippings, general information, and construction specifications for the buildings.

 

Organization

The collection is arranged in alphabetical order.

 

Container list

Box

Title

Dates

1

Barton Hall

1932-[ongoing]

1

Birch – Welch – Roberts Halls – Specifications for rehabilitation

1968

1

Birch Hall

1986-[ongoing]

1

Buchanan Hall

1953-[ongoing]

1

Eaton Hall

2003-[ongoing]

1

Elm Hall

1955-[ongoing]

1

Fisher – Nickell Hall

2000-[ongoing]

1

Frederiksen Court – newsclippings

1956-[ongoing]

1

Frederiksen Court – Hawthorn Court Village Apartment Complex Preliminary Construction Design Program Statement

n.d.

2

Frederiksen Court – Hawthorn Court Renovation Proposals

1998

2

Freeman Hall

1931-[ongoing]

2

Friley Hall

1942-[ongoing]

5 Friley Hall – floor plans 1950, undated

2

Helser Hall

1956-[ongoing]

5 Helser Hall – floor plans undated

2

Hughes Hall

1926-[ongoing]

2

Knapp Hall

1967-[2005]

2

Larch Hall

1966-[ongoing]

2

Larch Hall – Dormitory Improvement Project

1968

2

Linden Hall

1956-[ongoing]

2

Lyon Hall

1915-[ongoing]

3

Maple Hall

1966-[ongoing]

3

Martin Hall

2004-[ongoing]

3

Oak Hall

1965-[ongoing]

3

Pammel Court

1946-[ongoing]

3 Pammel Court – Reminiscences 2013

3

Pammel Court Grocery

1947-[ongoing]

3

Richardson Court Complex – Missing

1974-[ongoing]

3

Roberts Hall – missing

1937-[ongoing]

3

Schilletter Village

1971-[ongoing]

3

Schilletter Village Community Center

2005

3

Storms Hall

1965-2005

3

Towers Residence Halls

1964-[ongoing]

3 Towers Residence Halls – Demolition of Knapp Hall and Storms Hall Scrapbook (includes 47 color photographs) 2005
3 Towers Residence Halls – Demolition of Knapp Hall and Storms Hall Scrapbook (photocopy) 2005

3

Towers Residence Halls – Site Improvements

1969

3

Union Drive Community Center

2003-[ongoing]

3

Union Drive Complex

1971-[ongoing]

4

University Student Apartment Community

1966-[ongoing]

4

University Student Apartments – Specifications for Married Student Housing Phase II

1967

4

University Villiage

1966-[ongoing]

4

Wallace Hall

1967-[ongoing]

4

Wallace – Wilson Commons

2001-[ongoing]

4

Welch Hall

2000-[ongoing]

4

Westgate Hall

1955-[ongoing]

4

Willow Hall

2000-[ongoing]

4

Willow Hall – Construction Specifications for Contract Work (1 of 2)

1967

4

Willow Hall – Construction Specifications for Contract Work (2 of 2)

1967

4

Willow Hall – Mural Controversy

2002

6

Wilson Hall

1972-[ongoing]

6

Wilson Hall – Construction Specifications for Contract Work (1 of 2)

1967

6

Wilson Hall – Construction Specifications for Contract Work (1 of 2)

1967