Buildings Named for People
The west unit of this child development duplex is named for Benjamin
R. Andrews, editor in the early 1900s of the American Home Economics
Association journal. The east unit is named for Ellen H. Richards, the
AHEA's first president.
‑‑ Named in honor of Iowa State alumnus John V. Atanasoff, who, as an
Iowa State faculty member in 1939, invented the electronic digital
computer with the assistance of graduate student Clifford Berry.
Completed in 1969, this building was known as the Computer Science
Building until it was renamed in 1988.
‑‑ Built in 1918, the name
was changed in 1928 from South Hall to Clara Barton Hall, in honor of
the founder and first president of the American Red Cross. It is a
Hall ‑‑ ISU's main
administrative building was completed in 1906 as Central Hall and
renamed in 1938 in honor of William N. Beardshear, Iowa State's fifth
president, who served from 1891 to 1902. His dedication and ability to
organize Iowa State's faculty and courses helped bring the college
into the 20th century.
Auditorium ‑‑ This auditorium on the second floor of the Scheman Continuing
Education Building is named for Thomas H. Benton, a 1914 Iowa State
graduate and ISU benefactor.
Bergstrom Indoor Training
Facility -- completed in 2003, was named in honor of lead donors
Steve and Debbie Bergstrom. The multi-purpose facility is utilized by
athletic programs and for other general university activities and
‑‑ Completed in 1967, it is named for Charles E. Bessey, one of ISU's
original faculty members (he taught at Iowa State from 1870 to 1884)
and a respected research botanist. Bessey helped organize and was the
first president of the Iowa Academy of Science. The building houses
the departments of forestry, botany, plant pathology and biology.
‑‑ An indoor athletic and
recreation complex, it was completed in 1964 and named in 1965 for
Samuel W. Beyer, who joined the faculty in 1891 and served as dean of
industrial science (today's College of Sciences and Humanities) from
1919 to 1931. Beyer has been called "a father of Iowa State athletics"
by historian Earle D. Ross. Beyer House in Welch Hall also is named in
Completed in 1986, it is named for Henry M. Black, a 1929 graduate of
Iowa State who served as professor and head of the mechanical
engineering department from 1946 to 1972. The building houses the
mechanical engineering and engineering science and mechanics
Gallery and Museum
gallery, on the third floor of the Scheman Continuing Education
Building, is named for its primary benefactor, Henry J. Brunnier, a
1904 graduate, and his wife, Ann, who donated their vast collections,
of ceramics, glassware, enamelware, dolls and other decorative arts.
‑‑ This graduate student residence hall opened in 1964 and was named
in honor of Robert E. Buchanan, who spearheaded ISU's work in the area
of bacteriological classification. He was the first dean of the
graduate division, serving from 1919 to 1948.
‑‑ Completed in 1969, it is named for George Washington Carver, who
received his bachelor's and master's degrees from Iowa State in 1894
and 1896, respectively. His innovative work as head of agriculture at
Tuskegee Institute led to the discovery of hundreds of uses for
peanuts, soybeans and other agricultural products. The hall houses the
College of Sciences and Humanities and the College of Business
‑‑ Opened in 1950, the Electrical Engineering Building was renamed in
1969 in honor of Mervin Sylvester Coover, who served as associate dean
of the division of engineering from 1935 to 1954 and acting dean from
1957 to 1959.
‑‑ Completed in 1909 as Agricultural Hall, it was renamed in 1944 to
honor Charles F. Curtiss, who served Iowa State for 43 years and was
dean of agriculture from 1900 to 1933. Curtiss aided in the
development of the Iowa State Fair, and during his administration Iowa
State developed the nation's first fully organized county cooperative
extension service. The hall houses the College of Agriculture and
Extension Services offices. Curtiss Farm and Ames' Curtiss Avenue also
are named in his honor.
‑‑ The agricultural engineering lab was severely damaged by fire in
1941 and was rebuilt the next year. In 1975 it was named Davidson Hall
to honor the former head of the department, J. Brownlee
Davidson. J. Brownlee Davidson joined the faculty in 1905. He
served as professor and head of agricultural engineering from 1907
to 1915 and 1919 to 1946. Davidson House in North Helser Hall also is named in his
‑‑ The Charles W. Durham and Margre Henningson Durham Center for
Computation and Communication opened in 1989. The Durhams are 1939
graduates of Iowa State whose $3 million contribution to expand
computer facilities at ISU led to the construction of the center. It
houses the Computation Center and the Telecommunications Office.
Eaton Hall -- formerly
Union Drive Suite 1 (completed, 2002), was dedicated in 2003 in honor
of Gordon Eaton (b. 1929), Iowa State University president from 1986
through 1990. More than 300 students will occupy residential suites
in the 86,000 square foot building.
‑‑ This laboratory in Black Engineering Building is named for Raymond A.
Engel, a 1929 graduate of Iowa State who donated the funds for the
‑‑ Genevieve Fisher
served as Iowa State's dean of home economics from 1927 to 1944.
Paulena Nickell served as head of the home management department from
1936 to 1952. Opened in 1952, it is used as a residence hall.
Observatory ‑‑ Erwin Fick,
a resident of Davenport, admired Iowa State although he never set foot
on campus. He gave ISU his investments, house and the bulk of his
estate. His hobby was grinding lenses and making his own telescopes,
and Fick Observatory near Boone was dedicated in his honor in 1970.
The telescope in the observatory is named Mather Telescope in
honor of Milo Mather, an amateur astronomer from Clarksville whose
estate donated his home‑made telescope to ISU. The main 24‑inch mirror
in the telescope has been remounted and is used in the Fick
‑‑ Part of the Iowa State Center, this building was completed in 1973 and
named in recognition of the contributions made by J. W. "Bill" Fisher,
a 1936 Iowa State alumnus.
Barbara E. Forker Building
-- formerly the Physical Education Building, was renamed in honor of
Professor Barbara E. Forker, distinguished professor emeritus of
physical education. Forker, who retired in 1986, served as the first
chairperson of the department of physical education, now the
department of health and human performance.
Frederiksen Court --
was completed in 2003, and was named in honor of Charles Frederiksen,
who led Iowa State's residence department from 1967 to 1996.
‑‑ Initially called East Hall when it was completed in 1916, this
women's residence was renamed in 1928 to honor Alice Freeman, a
University of Michigan alumna and one‑time president of Wellesley
College in Massachusetts.
‑‑ One of the largest residence halls in the nation, it is named for
Charles E. Friley, ISU's ninth president, who served from 1936 to
1953. The first unit was built in 1927 and in 1936 officially named
Hughes Hall in honor of Raymond M. Hughes, president of Iowa State
from 1927 to 1936. In 1957, after several additions were built, the
complex was renamed Friley‑Hughes Hall. In the mid‑sixties, the Hughes
name was dropped. Ames' Friley Road also is named after Charles Friley.
Building -- was completed in 2003, and named in honor of
Russell and Ann
Gerdin, lead donors. Both Russ and Ann Gerdin were born in Minnesota
and earned their degrees from Moorhead State University.
‑‑ The Herbert J. Gilkey Courtyard, which surrounds Black Engineering
Building, is named in honor of the head of the department of
theoretical and applied mechanics from 1931 to 1955.
‑‑ The 1913 Chemistry Hall was renamed in 1973 for Henry Gilman,
recognizing one of Iowa State's most famous faculty members. Gilman is
credited with laying the groundwork for the development of industries
using plastics, particularly polyethylenes.
‑‑ Built in 1940 as the Collegiate Press Building, this structure is
named for Carl Hamilton, head of the ISU journalism department from 1962
to 1967 and vice president for information and development from 1967 to
1984. Hamilton Hall houses the Department of Journalism and Mass
Communication and student publications.
‑‑ This collection
of plant specimens in Bessey Hall is named for the botany professor who
worked at ISU from 1920 to 1950. She also was the first woman to earn
the Ph.D. degree from Iowa State. Hayden House in Maple Hall also is
named in her honor.
‑‑ Built in 1970 as an addition to East Hall, it was renamed in 1982 to
honor Earl 0. Heady, whose distinguished work in agricultural economics
is known throughout the world. The hall houses the Department of
Economics and the Center for Agricultural and Rural Development.
‑‑ This men's residence hall,
opened in 1957, was named in honor of Maurice D. Helser, Iowa State's
first director of personnel and dean of the junior college from the
early 1930s until 1955.
‑‑ Completed in 1971, this multipurpose athletic and activity building
at the Iowa State Center is named in honor of James H. Hilton, ISU's
10th president, who served from 1953 to 1965. He was the first Iowa
State graduate to become the institution's president and the originator
of the campaign to build the Iowa State Center.
Hoover Hall -- is named
for Gary Hoover, BSME'61, and his wife, Donna, who provided a leadership
gift for the project. The 70,000 square foot building features
multidisciplinary labs, including a fabrication lab, a mechatronics lab,
a 400-seat auditorium, and four large classrooms.
Howe Hall -- was built to
house engineering teaching and research. Completed in 1999, the
building was dedicated in honor of donors Helen and Stanley Howe. Mr.
Howe, chairman emeritus and a board member of HON INDUSTRIES, is a 1946
Iowa State engineering graduate.
Jacobson Athletic Building --
housing the Athletic Department, was completed in 1996 overlooking Jack
Trice Stadium. The Jacobson Building is named for Des Moines
businessman and philanthropist, Richard O. Jacobson, the project's lead
donor. In addition to housing the Athletics Department, the building
also includes ticket-selling operations, a 130-seat auditorium and a new
athletic hall of fame.
Jischke Honors Building
-- the Prairie Style honors building is named for Martin C. Jischke,
Iowa State University president from 1991 to 2000. The 1,200 students in
Iowa State's honors program take classes in the building's two
traditional classrooms and a more informal class/project room, work on
assignments in the computer lab, and study and visit in the two-story
lounge and meeting area.
Practice Fields -- honors the coach who led ISU to the 1971 Sun Bowl
and 1972 Liberty Bowl. The project on the west side of Jack Trice
Stadium will includes a 200-yard grass field and an extra-wide, 100-yard
artificial turf field.
‑‑ Housing offices and laboratories for the Department of Animal
Science, this building was completed in 1965 and named in honor of
Herbert H. Kildee, who served as the head of the animal husbandry
department from 1918 to 1933 and dean of agriculture from 1933 to 1949.
Ames' Kildee Street also is named in his honor.
King Laboratory for Sustainable Design Practice -- The
laboratory, attached to the College of Design, was funded by
alumni Steven and Barbara (Class of 1968). Their
company, Landscape Structures, Inc., is a leader in
sustainable design practices. The laboratory will be
used for study of sustainable environmental systems.
‑‑ Completed in 1966, it is named in honor of Iowa State's second
president, Seaman A. Knapp, who served from 1883 to 1884. Knapp helped
organize the cooperative demonstration farm program and county agent
system, forerunner of the extension system. The hall is part of the
Towers Residence Association. Ames' Knapp Street also is named in his
‑‑ Named in 1986 in honor of Virgil S. Lagomarcino, who joined the
faculty in 1955, became the College of Education's first dean in 1968
and served until 1990. Formerly known as the Veterinary Quadrangle, the
building's first section was opened in 1912. The facility was
extensively remodeled in 1976 to house the College of Education and the
Department of Psychology.
LaVerne is named for LaVerne Noyes, a member of Iowa State's first
graduating class in 1872.
Noyes, a successful businessman, provided the services of noted
Chicago landscape architect O.C. Simonds to Iowa State in 1914.
Simonds, while working on a landscape plan for the south side of
campus, suggested damming College Creek to provide for a lake.
The work was carried out during 1914 and 1915 at Noyes'
The lake was named Lake LaVerne in Noyes' honor in 1916.
‑‑ This west addition to MacKay Hall was finished in 1958, and in 1975
was named to honor Helen LeBaron Hilton, dean of home economics from
1952 to 1975.
‑‑ The Aldo Leopold Center for Sustainable Agriculture, located in
Agronomy Hall, was established in 1987. The center promotes agricultural
systems combining responsible stewardship of natural resources with farm
profitability. Aldo Leopold was an Iowa conservationist, ecologist and
Lied Recreation Athletic Center was completed in 1990 as the Recreation
It was renamed in 1995 after the Lied Foundation Trust donated a
$5 million cash gift to Iowa State.
The gift was used to fund the Hixson Opportunity Awards—$10,000
grants that are offered to 100 Iowa high school seniors annually.
The building name honors the Trust's founder, Ernst F. Lied, a
businessman and real estate developer originally from Omaha, Nebraska.
‑‑ This lecture facility in Kildee Hall was built in 1965 and became
Lush Auditorium in 1973 in recognition of Jay L. Lush, credited as the
founder of scientific animal breeding.
‑‑ This women's residence hall, completed in 1914, was called West Hall
from 1916 to 1928. It was renamed to honor Mary B. Lyon, founder of Mt.
Holyoke College in Massachusetts, the first school of higher education
‑‑ Known for nearly 50 years as Home Economics Hall, this 1911 building
was renamed in 1958 in honor of Catharine MacKay, Iowa State's first
dean of home economics, who served from 1912 until her death in 1921.
She was president of the American Home Economics Association in 1916.
‑‑ Completed in 1903 as Engineering Hall, it was renamed in 1947 to
honor Anson Marston, first dean of engineering, who served from 1904 to
1932 after joining the faculty in 1892. He built the engineering
division into one of national prominence and was largely responsible for
the development of Iowa's early road system. Marston Court, Marston
Water Tower and Ames' Marston Avenue also are named in his honor.
‑‑ The Wayne
R. Moore Technology Transfer Center at the Iowa State Research Park
honors the man who helped establish the park. The center consists of
several facilities housing small‑company research operations. Moore
served Iowa State in several positions for 43 years, retiring as vice
president for planning and development in 1989.
‑‑ This room in
Lagomarcino Hall is.named for the professor who came to Iowa State in
1923 and served as department head of vocational education from 1936 to
‑‑ Built in 1890‑1891, it was named after U.S. Sen. Justin Smith
Morrill, who introduced a bill establishing state colleges nationwide
through public land grants, a bill signed into law by President Abraham
Lincoln. Iowa was the first state in the nation to accept the terms of
the Morrill Act.
‑‑ Completed in 1975, it is named in recognition of Ralph A. Olsen, a
1923 graduate and major contributor to ISU and its athletic programs.
This structure at the north entrance of Cyclone Stadium provides
administrative headquarters for the athletic department, football
offices, training rooms and locker rooms.
Palmer Building -- is
named for Iowa State alumni Barbara Raeder Palmer and James R. Palmer of
State College, Penn., whose gift to Iowa State initiated the project.
The three-story building officially opened in 2000, and includes space
for the Child Development Laboratory School, Financial Counseling Clinic
and Marriage and Family Therapy Clinic.
‑‑ The William Robert Parks and Ellen Sorge Parks Library was dedicated
in 1984 in honor of Iowa State's 11th president and his wife. Mr. Parks
served the longest tenure of any ISU president, 21 years (1965 to 1986).
Mrs. Parks is a scholar who possesses a doctorate in political science
and also has a deep interest in the library. The first section of the
library was completed in 1925, and additions were finished in 1961, 1969
‑‑ Named in honor of Raymond A. Pearson, ISU's seventh president, who
served from 1912 to 1926. This 1962 building houses the Media Resources
Center and the departments of speech and foreign languages. Pearson
House in North Friley Hall and Ames' Pearson Avenue also are named in
‑‑ The Col. Harold Pride Lounge in the Memorial Union is named in honor
of the man who served as union director from 1928 to 1959 and also was
secretary of the union corporation from 1922 to 1972. Pride, a colonel
in the U.S. Army who served in both world wars, often was called "Mr.
Roberts Hall ‑‑ This residence hall, built in 1936, is named in
honor of Maria Roberts, who served in many capacities as a member of the
ISU staff for 52 years and who helped establish Iowa State's first
Student Loan Fund.
Reiman Gardens -- is
named for Bobbi and Roy Reiman. Roy attended Iowa State University and
studied Agriculture Journalism, graduating in 1957. He and his wife
Bobbi started a publishing company that publishes magazines such as
Country Women, Country, Country Extra, Taste of Home, Reminisce,
Reminisce Extra, Crafting Traditions, Farm and Ranch Living, Country
Store, and Birds and Blooms.
‑‑ This building, which houses the English, history, philosophy and
political science departments, was completed in 1973 and named in honor
of Earle D. Ross, professor of history from 1923 to 1958 and an Iowa
The Roy J. Carver
Co-Laboratory -- was named for Roy J. Carver, an Iowa industrialist
and philanthropist. The Roy J. Carver Charitable Trust, a private
foundation in Muscatine, gave the $3 million lead gift. The
Co-Laboratory houses the Plant Sciences Institute.
Continuing Education Building
‑‑ Completed in 1975, this building was
financed by donations through the Iowa State University Foundation,
including a $I million gift from Carl H. Scheman, a 1910 graduate of
Iowa State. The building houses the Brunnier Gallery and Museum and
‑‑ Named for
the first woman veterinary medicine graduate of Iowa State and long‑time
member of the veterinary medicine faculty. The Women's Center is in
Sloss House, originally a faculty and staff residence built in the
1880s and named for one of its residents, long‑time superintendent of
buildings and grounds Thomas Sloss, Margaret Sloss' father.
‑‑ Completed in 1953, it is named for George W. Snedecor, who developed
the first statistics course offered by Iowa State (in 1915), and who, in
collaboration with Henry A. Wallace, helped establish Iowa State's
Mathematics Statistical Service and the Iowa State Statistical
Laboratory, the first in the U.S.
This research facility west of the Iowa State campus is named for Merlin
G. "Ib" Spangler, a civil engineering faculty member known for his work
with soils and buried conduit. He retired in 1965.
‑‑ Opened in 1951, it is named for Frank H. Spedding, the first director
of the Ames Laboratory of the U.S. Atomic Energy Commission (now the
Department of Energy). One of America's leading atomic scientists,
Spedding was a world authority on rare‑earth elements. Under his
supervision, scientists at Iowa State contributed more uranium than any
other source to the world's first nuclear reaction.
‑‑ The Edgar W. and
Margaret McDonald Stanton Memorial Carillon is located in the Campanile,
built in 1899 to house a chime of 10 bells given to the school by Edgar
W. Stanton. He was professor of mathematics from 1872 until his death in
1920, head of the mathematics department from 1876 to 1920 and acting
president of Iowa State four times (1890‑91, 1902‑03, 1910‑13, and
1917‑18). His bequest to Iowa State financed the installation of 26 mare
bells in the carillon and the Stanton Memorial Carillon Foundation has
added 14 since 1954. Stanton House in North Friley Hall and Ames'
Stanton Avenue also are named in Edgar Stanton's honor.
C. Y. Stephens
Auditorium ‑‑ Opened in 1969,
it is named for the 1925 Iowa State graduate who in 1962 made a
then‑anonymous gift of $1 million to the Iowa State Center project. His
total contributions helped begin a major fund‑raising drive that he
headed until he was killed in a traffic accident the following year.
‑‑ Opened in 1966, it is named in honor of Albert Boynton Storms, Iowa
State's sixth president, who served from 1903 to 1910. It is part of the
Towers Residence Association.
‑‑ The building that houses the chemical engineering and nuclear
engineering departments was renamed in 1964 to honor Orland Russell
Sweeney, holder or co‑holder of nearly 300 patents and head of Iowa
State's chemical engineering department from 1920 to 1948.
Thielen Student Health Center (1997)
-- was named for Thomas B. Thielen, vice president emeritus for student
affairs. Thielen served as vice president for student affairs at Iowa
State from 1977 to 1997, and worked closely with student leaders to
create a new student health center. The Government of the Student Body
endorsed the naming of the building for Thielen.
State's varsity baseball diamond was moved to the Southwest Athletic
Complex in 1968.
Its previous location was just west of the current site of Town
It was named Capp Timm Field in 1974 in honor of retiring coach
Leroy C. "Capp" Timm, who had been head coach for ISU's baseball
teams from 1937 to 1974.
During those years he also taught physical education and served
as assistant football coach (1934-1955), assistant basketball coach
(1938-1950), and head athletic trainer.
Building ‑‑ Named in honor of
George R. Town, professor and dean of the College of Engineering from
1959 to 1970. This 1971 building houses the aerospace engineering and
civil and construction engineering programs.
Trice Stadium is named for Iowa State's first African-American athlete
who died October 8, 1923 as the result of injuries received in a
football game with the University of Minnesota.
The stadium was completed in 1975, and was named Cyclone Stadium
and Jack Trice Field in 1984.
It was renamed Jack Trice Stadium in 1997.
Tye Recital Hall (Music Building)
Martha-Ellen Tye Recital Hall is located in ISU's Music Building which
was completed in 1980.
It was renamed for Marshalltown philanthropist Martha-Ellen Tye
shortly after her death in 1998.
In the fall of 1997, she had given the University a $1.1 million
gift to create a performing arts scholarship endowment, establish a
performing arts institute, and renovate the recital hall.
She had also been the lead donor for the 1995 renovation of
Fisher Theater, which is named for her brother, J.W. "Bill" Fisher.
Memorial Golf Course
course is named for George F. Veenker, who served as Iowa State's head
football coach from 1931 to 1936, and as Athletic Director from
The golf course was conceived and built through Veenker's
efforts, and was completed in 1938.
It was designed by Perry Maxwell, a well-known golf course
architect, and was executed with the use of Civilian Conservation Corps
and Works Progress Administration labor.
The course was named for Veenker shortly after his death in 1959.
Henry A. Wallace
Center for Agricultural History and Rural Studies
‑‑ This center works to bring together
researchers, archivists and teachers interested in the historical
problems associated with 20th century agriculture. Wallace was a 1910
graduate of Iowa State, who served as U.S. secretary of agriculture and
was the vice president in Franklin Roosevelt's third term. Wallace Hall
also is named in his honor.
‑‑ This part of the Towers Residence Association opened in 1967 and was
named in honor of Henry A. Wallace, a 1910 graduate of Iowa State.
Wallace's knowledge of the agricultural community led him from his work
in genetics and statistics to positions as U.S. secretary of agriculture
and vice president in Franklin D. Roosevelt's administration. The Henry
A. Wallace Center for Agricultural History and Rural Studies also is
named in his honor.
‑‑ This residence hall, built in 1929, is named for Mary B. Welch, who
founded the home economics program at Iowa State and taught English and
elocution. She was the wife of Iowa State's first president, Adonijah S.
‑‑ The former Metallurgy Building, completed in 1949, was named in 1985
for Harvey A. Wilhelm.' Wilhelm is co‑inventor of the process for
large‑scale production of uranium, which led to the world's first
nuclear chain reaction. He came to Iowa State in 1928 and retired in
1971 after being granted 42 patents in metallurgy. He was the first
deputy director of the Ames Laboratory.
Field ‑‑ Called State Field
when it opened in 1910, the name was changed in 1938 to honor the man
who served as athletic director at Iowa State from 1915 to 1919. It was
Iowa State's football field through the 1974 season. The stadium was
razed in 1978.
‑‑ The fourth and final section of the Towers Residence Association was
completed in 1969 and named in honor of James "Tama Jim" Wilson. He
served as dean of agriculture at Iowa State from 1890 to 1897 and served
as U.S. secretary of agriculture for 16 years. Wilson Road and Ames'
Wilson Avenue are named in his honor.