Ames Streets Named for Iowa State People
According to the
Ames City Plan Commission's "Street Naming Guide," adopted in February
1972, Ames streets in the area south of the main campus generally are
named for prominent Iowa State persons. A few other Ames streets also
are named for prominent ISU persons.
The city streets considered to be named after ISU personnel
‑‑ Thomas R. Agg was dean
of engineering from 1932 to 1946.
‑‑ Spencer A. Beach was vice dean of agriculture and head of horticulture
from 1905 to 1922. This street originally was spelled "Beech" but was
changed by the Ames City Council to "Beach" in honor of S. A. Beach.
‑‑ 0. H. Cessna came to Iowa State in 1900 as head of history and
psychology and was named college chaplain in 1902. He served in those
capacities until 1929. Cessna House in Larch Hall also is named in his
Street ‑‑ William I.
Chamberlain was ISU's fourth president, serving from 1886 to 1890.
Chamberlain House in North Friley Hall also is named in his honor.
‑‑ Charles F. Curtiss joined the faculty in 1891 and was dean of
agriculture from 1900 to 1933. Curtiss Hall and Curtiss Farm also are
named in his honor.
‑‑ Charles E. Friley was
Iowa State's ninth president, serving from 1936 to 1953. Friley Hall
also is named in his honor.
‑‑ Harold V. Gaskill came to Iowa State in 1930 and was dean of the
science division from 1938 to 1955.
‑‑ Raymond M. Hughes was Iowa State's eighth president, serving from 1927
to 1936. The former Hughes Hall was also named in his honor.
‑‑ Leigh Hunt was Iowa
State's third president, serving from 1885 to 1886.
‑‑ Herbert H. Kildee was head of animal husbandry from 1918 to 1933 and
dean of agriculture from 1933 to 1949. Kildee Hall also is named in
‑‑ Seaman A. Knapp was Iowa State's second president, serving from 1883
to 1884. Knapp Hall also is named in his honor.
‑‑ Anson Marston was the first dean of engineering, serving from 1904 to
1932. He joined the faculty in 1892. Marston Hall, Marston Water Tower
and Marston Court also are named in his honor.
Road, Parkway ‑‑ Martin Mortensen
headed the dairy industry department
at Iowa State from 1909 to 1938. Mortensen House in South Helser Hall
also is named in his honor.
‑‑ Raymond A. Pearson was Iowa State's seventh president, serving from
1912 to 1926. Pearson Hall and Pearson House in North Friley Hall also
are named in his honor.
‑‑ Most likely named
for Edgar W. Stanton, who served Iowa State in many capacities from
1872 to 1920. See also Stanton Memorial Carillon and Stanton House in
North Friley Hall.
‑‑ There is disagreement as to whether this street is named after Ashley
V. Storm, of the agricultural education department, or if an "s" was
left off the end of the street name and it is to honor Albert Storms,
Iowa State's sixth president, who served from 1903 to 1910.
‑‑ James "Tama Jim" Wilson was dean of agriculture at Iowa State from
1890 to 1897 and was a U.S. secretary of agriculture for 16 years.
Wilson Hall and Wilson Road also are named in his honor.