Farms, Research Centers
and Other Parcels of Land Named for People
Owned by the state:
Allee Research Center:
George M. Allees, a pioneer corn breeder from rural Newell, gave 160 acres
in Buena Vista County to the Experiment Station in 1958 for agricultural
Baird-Wessman Farm: John
Wessman and Mrs. John Baird Wessman gave this 231 acre Jasper County farm to
Bates Farm: The
Bates family was the last owner of this 72 acre Story County property.
Bilsland Memorial Farm:
Benjamin F. Bilsland and Glady P. Bilsland gave this 256 acre farm in Boone
County to ISU in 1959.
Brayton Memorial Forest: Emma
L. Brayton of Delhi bequeathed 310 acres of Delaware County native timber to
Iowa State in 1949 for forestry research.
Burkey Farm: Greta Burkey
sold this 154 acre Boone County farm in 1973 to the Iowa Crops and Soils
Research Association, which deeded the land to ISU in 1984.
Coles Farm: Jessie Coles
gave 285 acres of Hamilton County farmland to ISU in 1974.
Curtiss Farm: This 141
acre farm in Story County is named for C.F. Curtiss, dean of agriculture at
ISU, 1900-1933. Curtiss Hall and Curtiss Avenue (Ames) are also named
in his honor.
Finch Farm: Edwin Finch
was the previous owner of this 70 acre farm in Story County.
Hunds Research Plot: This
50 acre farm was purchased from Leonard and Florence Felber in 1974 and
named after an estate left by a man named Hinds [first name not found].
Littlefield Nature Area: This
31 acre piece of Story County land was named for an individual named
Littlefield [first name not found], who left property to ISU for wildlife
MacDonald Woods: This 5.6
acre parcel of Story County land was donated to Iowa State in 1954 by alumni
of the forestry department in memory of the former head of the department,
Gilmour B. MacDonald, who was on the faculty, 1910-1948. Macdonald
House in South Helser Hall was also named in his honor.
McNay Memorial Research
Center: Harry McNay and his sister, Winnie, of rural Chariton, deeded in
1956 the original 480 acre tract in Lucas County for use as a research
center. The center now totals more than 2,000 acres.
Pammel Woods: The wooded
parcel of land in the northwest part of campus was originally called College
Park before being named Pammel Park in 1939. Now referred to as Pammel
Woods, it is named for Louis H. Pammel, a botanist and botany department
head who served Iowa State, 1889-1931. Pammel Court, Pammel Drive and
Pammel State Park in Madison were all named in his honor.
Woodruff Farm: This 170
acre farm in Story County was purchased from the estate of an individual
named Woodruff [first name not found].
Owned by Iowa State
Accola Farm: This 80 acre farm
in Story County was acquired by trade by Lowell Accola in 1967.
Been Farm: Hilda Johnson Been
sold this 160 acre farm in Story County to ISU in 1964.
Bennett Farm: This 160 acre
Story County farm was purchased from Dr. C.H. Bennett in 1965.
Boyd Farm: This 76 acre farm in
Boone County was purchased from the Carl T. Boyd estate in 1976.
Bruner Farm: This 160 acre Boone
County farm was purchased from Marie and Harold Bruner in 1969.
Crossley Farm: This 54 acre farm
in Story County was purchased from Olive Crossley in 1971.
Haas Memorial Farm: The Franz
Haas estate gave this 160 acre farm in Pottawattamie County to the Committee
for Ag Development.
Iden Farm: This 122 acre Story
County farm was purchased from J. Clarence and Barbara Iden in 1970.
Johannes Farm: This 110 acre
farm in Story County was purchased from the Johannes family in 1965.
Johnson Farm: Hilda
Johnson Been sold this 148 acre farm in Story County to ISU in 1965.
Kelley Farm: This 200
acre farm in Boone County was purchased from Phillip and Ellen Kelley in
Lippert Farm: Linda
Lippert sold this 213 acre Boone County farm to the Committee for Ag
Development in 1969.
Milliken Farm: This 40
acre farm in Story County was acquired by trade in 1965. It is not
known for whom it is named.
Pollock Farm: This 30
acre Keokuk County farm was purchased from the Roscoe C. Pollack family in
Ross Farm: This 160 acre
farm in Story County was purchased from the Agnes E. Ross estate in 1978.
M. Ross Farm: M.E. Ross
was a former owner of this 62 acre farm in Story County.
Sundberg Farm: This 80
acre Boone County farm was purchased in 1986 from the C. Milton Sundberg