Beardshear Hall, ca. 1906
Beardshear Hall, ca.1906.

Central Building

Built: 1903-1906

Built as the Central Building, plans for the structure included space for the Mathematics, English, Botany, History, and Modern Languages departments, as well as the President's, Secretary's, Treasurer's and Board of Trustee's offices. When constructed was completely finished in 1908, the total cost was at just over $400,000. In 1938, Central Building was renamed Beardshear Hall after William M. Beardshear who was president of the college from 1891 to 1902.

There have been many changes in the usage of space within the building, but the structure has for the most part remained as originally built. The few visible changes resulted from the change of the inscription over the main east entrance from "Iowa State College" to "Iowa State University," the installation of air conditioning in the 1970's, and various renovations to meet changing fire codes.

Additional images of Beardshear Hall

click for larger view

Beardshear Hall 02 Beardshear Hall 03 Beardshear Hall 04
Beardshear Hall, ca. 1906.

East facade of
Beardshear Hall,

ca. 1906.

View from southeast of
Beardshear Hall,

no date. Possibly graduation procession.

Beardshear Hall 05 Beardshear Hall 06 Beardshear Hall 07
Beardshear Hall, between 1908 and 1913. East view of Beardshear, 1914.  2,481 students and faculty. Beardshear Hall, no date.

History of Campus Buildings at Iowa State University

Comments: University Archives
Created by: Andrea Reis, Research/Technical Assistant & Jill Osweiler Schaefer, Special Collections Librarian

Updated by: Michele Christian, University Records Analyst