|Charles E. Bessey was the first resident of the home, from 1883-1884. The porch
was built in 1884. The longest resident, Thomas Sloss, moved in in 1925. Sloss was
superintendent of buildings, and during the 11 years that he lived in the home, he did
various remodeling and additions to it, including extending the south porch, removing the
west porch, and adding a garage to northwest corner, sun room, study, and bath. The Sloss
House now is the home of the Margaret Sloss Women's Center, named after Thomas Sloss's
daughter, who was the first woman to earn a Doctorate of Veterinary Medicine and a faculty
member for 1923-1972.